Friday, May 16, 2008

What I have been looking for in the dayliles I've purchased...

Most of the daylilies in my garden have been gifts either by my mother, friends or the local daylily group I belong to. I love all of them and really look forward to the new blooms I see this year in my garden. Every day I am out looking for scapes even though I don't have many early bloomers in my yard. I just can't wait for it to be daylily season in my garden this year!


Now when I shop for a daylily I look for pretty blooming plants but also for daylilies who are considered good parents. My resent purchase from the daylily auction, Lavender Blue Baby is a good example. I want a plant that is fertile and that has created some wonderful looking offspring. I haven't always purchased daylilies this way but I have enough now that I think I have started to become picky about which ones I will buy. The more I read about hybridizing the more I have learned that everything is trial and error. It's just so much fun to do and maybe a few years down the line I will create at least one beautiful daylily but hopefully more than that.

3 comments:

Melanie Chopay said...

You made a great choice, that Lavender blue baby is a knock out. Let me know how it does for you, I've never tried it here.

Jane O' said...

Lavender Blue Baby is fantastic. I just recently saw a picture of it on a daylily web site.

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

Janice, thank you for your message. Yes I get lots of creatures great and small. Also poisonous snake of which I am scared.Your spring garten is going into summer with the daylilies to bloom soon! I look forward seeing them. The pink and lilac are divine colours.And soon you get strawberries for nice desserts. I also love the bleeding heart, I have plants by this name but they look different. It's such a pleasure to have a garden!